Housing Rental Scams
Searching for housing? Scams are prevalent, so be careful when you rent.
- 43% of U.S. renters have encountered a rental scam (Better Business Bureau)
- 18-29 year-old renters are 42% more likely to experience rental fraud (Better Business Bureau)
- $350 MILLION was lost to housing/rental scams in 2021 (2021 FBI Internet Crime Report)
- 9.1% of renters ages 18-29 have lost money to rental scams (compared to 6.4% of all renters) (Forbes)
Make sure a listing is legit before you commit.
- Never wire transfer a security deposit of first month's rent before meeting the landlord
- Always tour or have a person you trust visit the property
- Never pay anything before signing a lease
Report Housing Rental Scams
- Federal Trade Commission reportfraud.ftc.gov
- Website where fraudulent listing was posted (e.g. Craig’s List)